Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Promises of Spring and Dancing Fairies

My daffodils (lovingly called daff-i-down-dillies in this family) are about 3 inches tall. The other day for the brief moment, the snow had melted away. I gazed at the little promises of spring that were popping up in my garden with wide eyes. My imagination could see a beautiful spring show of purples, pinks, reds, whites, and yellows. How I longed for spring with excitement. With the flowering bulbs will come my hostas and shortly after buds and flowers on the trees.

My tulips and hyacinth haven't begun popping up yet, which is a first. Its been cold enough this year that my spring bulbs did not start popping up in November. But my herbs are starting to wake up. Little shoots of chives and delicate chamomile and strawberry leaves have already begun to show themselves. I do not worry about them because they have been through four years and they are well rooted.

For now, I will enjoy the snow a little longer knowing that the promises of spring are under a white blanket and just a month away.


My sleepy little house



My spring bulb bed, with the flower remains of last summer.



A sundial that is resting its face



An herb bed that promises herbal teas this summer




My dancing fairy that frolics around covered phlox


and...


My sleeping woods

4 comments:

laoi gaul~williams said...

lovely snowy pictures~your house looks settled in its surroundings!

my old church~i am sure you would love it there it has a very special feel to it.

Lucky13 said...

Daffs are 3 inches tall??!!?? This is the first year I don't have daffs pushing thru the soil...strange. Mom's azalea bloomed in Nov, the forsythia too, and primrose of course, but not a daff thru the soil. Mom's snow drops are coming up tho, giving me hope that soon, I'll have the flowers again. I should rejoice in this quiet time of year, knowing that the colors that burst forth will be worth the wait. Consider the wild columbine saved.
Love to all,
Aunt Julie

Jaime said...

I need to pick myself up some snowdrops as well. I love the way they look, especially when they are covered in snow.

Thanks Aunt Julie

Jaime said...

laoi gaul - I know I would love to walk around that church yard and to see the Yew in person - wow!