Friday, May 1, 2009

My little slice of heaven


I went down in my little section of woods today to hunt for morel mushrooms. I wasn't lucky enough to find any but I wouldn't consider it a wasted trip at all. Since I moved here 6 years ago, I must have tracked down into those woods half a million times. And half a million times I have stood in awe at everything that surrounded me. Nothing has changed but I always find something new that intrigues me. Whether it be a simple trillium flower or the red tail hawk that has lived here longer than my family.


This little section of woods has been lucky enough to have existed since the beginning of time never once being disturbed by man's hands. The soil is rich with millions of years of decaying trees and the atmosphere is at peace. Stress does not tread down this far, it dissipates before it can enter.

As I explored there were a few sounds that I stopped and took in. The pitter pattering of rain on the canopy well above my head, birds singing, and the creek bed rushing downward to its destination.

I also stopped to look at the moss covered stones and trees, as well as, the large rock faces and the underbrush that hide wild turkey, deer, and other woodland creatures. I may not have found any morels today but I did commune with nature in my own backyard.

4 comments:

laoi gaul~williams said...

that looks like my kind of walk!!! how secret and beautiful

Jaime said...

thank you solstice. I do it enjoy it greatly.

tipper said...

There is always something new to hear or see when one walks in the woods. Nice post!

Granny Sue said...

Lovely, Jaime. You captured the essence of those quiet woods. Thank you for sharing.