Monday, August 23, 2010

My New Journey to Become a Teacher

My blog is going to take a different turn as I begin a new challenge to become a teacher.  I grew up in Parkersburg, WV with all the aspirations to become a Veterinarian.  Animals are my life and will always be.  So it seemed like a natural path to take.  I remembered entering the Animal and Veterinary Science (A&VS) program at West Virginia University (WVU) bright eyed and young.  I loved it!  I learned so much and soaked up every minute as a volunteer on the WVU farms. Whether I was palpating pregnant cows or measuring estrus in sheep - it was all so amazing.  Later I would become a paid researcher for the Nutritional Biochemistry professor.  My job - analyzing chicken livers.  Oddly enough, I turned my sights from Veterinarian to Researcher.  I was compelled by the drive to help animals in a different way through research and by doing so help farmers as well. 

I spent two years, after I had graduated with my Bachelors, as a caver at Laurel Caverns in Pennsylvania. I strapped myself in spelunker gear and took individuals and groups on a three hour tour into the undeveloped section of the cave.  I enjoyed the physical aspects of the job and educating people about bats but what I enjoyed more was teaching seminars at the cave.  I taught all ages of kids Geology, Ecology, and Forestry.  I even took them on fossil hunts.  I learned a lot about myself.  I was much more involved in the teaching aspect than most of my coworkers.  I worked hard to develop visual aids and took a very hands on approach.  Today, I have an extensive rock collection and still occasionally teach geology seminars for festivals.

Currently I live outside of Farmington, WV in a small development called Katy Village with my husband and two kids. My husband and I agreed that our childrens' early years were important enough for me to put my professional life on hold.  I took an eight year hiatus and still treasure every moment I was able to spend with them.  Last year, out of a need to redevelop my 'self', I decided to try substitute teaching in Marion County.  With a four year degree in A&VS I was eligible to apply as a RESA IV short term substitute.  I still remembered the excitement and thrill of teaching different sciences to younger and older kids.  So, I went for it.  Within a month I was holding my license to be a Substitute Teacher and by the next month I was employed by the Marion County Board of Education.  I had never been in a classroom before, so my nerves were on edge the first several times I stepped into one.  It became easier and easier as I saw how the kids reacted to my teaching style.  I'm still hands on with my very large bag full of rocks and a Euler's Disk for down time (I don't like worksheets).  While I'm teaching a subject, my classroom as I like to state it, is 'organized chaos'.  If I can get the whole class engaged in debating a topic, I feel like I've won the heart of the class.  It is truly amazing to see kids excited about every topic from Social Studies, which personally I don't like, to History, Reading, and Science. 

I feel lucky to have had the chance to step into a classroom.  It helped me make my decision to take on the challenge of college courses once again and become fully certified to teach.  My course specialization - General Science and Biology on a secondary level.  I may not be able to make an impact on the minds of every student but if I can open the door of science for just a few, then I will have accomplished my goal.  I also believe my enthusiasm in the sciences as a woman will encourage more girls at the secondary education level to embrace science as well.  I have not lost the dream to be a researcher.  I hope one day to be not only a Science teacher but to work in the field as a researcher.

4 comments:

Nanjemoy Nana said...

You are one awesome lady Jaime. You will make one very wonderful teacher.

Lucky13 said...

Everyday I marvel at EJ. He started school with a horrible learning disorder, but thru great teachers he overcame those difficulties, and inspired by HS teachers and college professors, he's now looking at going for his PhD. Your love of science is what will inspire your students! I agree with Aunt Maggie, you're going to be an awesome teacher!!!

Lindstrom22015657 said...

I'm so excited you have decided to become a teacher! Your life experience and passion have already made you a good teacher! Let's get you certified in the classroom!

Jaime said...

I really appreciate all the inspiring and sweet words. I am determined to get this license and hopefully bring my knowledge and excitement into the class. I'm a little worried about keeping up with all the new technology that has changed over the last 10 years but so far... its going really well.