Saturday, August 30, 2014

Digital Storytelling and Reel Works

The Eyes of the Deceived
The Eyes of the Deceived


1.  What do you like about the digital story?

The Eyes of the Deceived was an amazingly, raw, emotional story.  We can read what happens in countries like Syria all day long but to see it… To see a bombing while children are being interviewed.  To see children covered in dust from a bomb.  To see children howling in pain after finding their mother dead.  To see a father howling pain after finding 4 children dead.  I cannot imagine living in a world where life seems disposable and temporary but there are people who live this life every moment of the day.  To see the little girl who cried and tried to find justification in what they did knowing that they did nothing but where bombed and lost their home.  I'm just at a loss.  

2.  What did you learn from the digital story?

I learned through visual imagery the message of a child who worries about her family trapped in a war torn country.  A teenager should not have this stress.  The only time I come close to this stress/fear is when my family in Oklahoma have horrendous tornados and I have to wait for hours to hear from them. 

3.  What surprised you about the digital story?

I think the whole video shocked me.  As I said earlier, we all know there are places in the world that never stops to rest.  Bombing, killing, more bombing, more bloodshed is the agenda of the day.  Mere words do not bring home the thought of a baby crying in pain.  The raw emotion of the video shocked me.  My worry?  The children I saw in the video - are they still alive?

4.  What social problem was the digital story addressing?

War was the topic of the social problem.  In specific - the government opened fire on its citizens.

5.  How did the digital story provide an example of how digital storytelling can build self esteem, help young people voice an opposition to social problems, or create an alternative to stereotypes of adolescents typically portrayed in mainstream media?

I think in this case, the teenage girl needed to voice to the world what is happening to her family in her home country.  I think she needed her message to include the fact that the innocent are being killed senselessly.  The Internet gave her the power to voice her concerns.  To date 42 people have watched the video since its release in the FALL of 2013.  That doesn't seem like enough right now but it is 42 more people that are aware than before.  

6. Do (or how do) these digital stories provide evidence of that these young people are engaged in analysis of their own culture?

All 5 stories that I watched whether the topic was war, feminism (2 videos) , religion, or skin disorders the teens were eager to tell their stories.  In the story regarding the skin disorder, the girl sought out others just like her to learn more about herself and create a bond with people who suffer the same social ills.  

In The Eyes of the Deceived, the girl was seeking out answers.  She included video from children that she could not visit but gave her insight as to what they were fighting.  She also knew that those same children may not live to the next day.  Her video was very informational from the standpoint of a civilian caught in a civil war.

What I also found interesting is her comparison of the culture she was living in (America) with its vacation destination and snowball fights and the culture she left (Syria) with its constant bombing and displaced children.  It was interesting to see her take on the difference between the two cultures because her visuals posted the happiness of one country vs. the sorrow of another. 

7. Do (or how do) these digital stories support a healthy respect for multiculturalism and diversity?

The stories allow the viewer to see the story tellers life through the eyes of the story teller.  The story is very personal and the ability to use visuals such as pictures and videos allows for a bigger impact.  All 5 videos that I watched gave me a perspective from a different country, race, and gender.  

4 comments:

Sean Harwell said...

That was an intense video that shows the struggle of the children in that country. It was eye opening and I am glad you shared that video.

Jaime said...

Sean, my mom traveled to see my little family this weekend and she was actually watching this video with me the first time around. I think we were both in tears by the time it was finished. It was the first video I opened and by far made the biggest impact on me. My mom and I were still discussing it today.

Lindstrom22015657 said...

That video is heart breaking. I think it demonstrates the power of digital storytelling over reading a history book to develop an understanding of the impact of war and it's unintended consequences.

Raphael Snell said...

Jamie, this video left me shouting in my head the Vietnam era song "War! What is good for? Absolutely NOTHING!!!" over and over in fact it is still playing the loop now as I post. It is so hard to watch this and feel somewhat helpless to ease the struggle of these people. It reminds me of how fortunate I am to live in such a privileged nation of free people. I also like how the producer pointed out that she and others like her all want the same thing... "a chance to live and be happy" as if it were copied right out of the "Declaration of Independence" and the "Preamble of the Constitution." Great post on a issue that is very relevant today!!