Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Apple Tree Wassailing


This weekend I'm going to be doing a bit of a different tradition - Apple Tree Wassailing which first appeared in Southern England in the 1500's. Apparently, the tradition includes family and friends surrounding an apple tree and singing or wassailing. This tradition takes part on January 17th (old "Twelfth Night) and the purpose is to ensure a good and healthy crop for the coming year. An example of a wassail chant is



From the South Hams of Devon, recorded 1871

Here's to thee, old apple tree,
Whence thou mayst bud And whence thou mayst blow!
And whence thou mayst bear apples enow!
Hats full! Caps full!
Bushel--bushel--sacks full,
And my pockets full too! Huzza!

The plan is to start on my mother in law's farm - waissal her apple trees and then continue on to my friend's house to waissal their apple tree. We are then going to have stew at my friend's house. Afterwards I believe, there is one more stop but I'm not sure.

This is a new tradition for me but I will definitely share my experience in a future blog, hopefully with pictures when I get back. Actually all the chanting is right up my alley *wink*. I think the fun of being with family and friends will trump everything though.

For a little more information on Apple Tree Wassailing (including history, etymology, chants, etc...), check out this website:


No comments: