Sunday, October 10, 2010

Edmodo and my thoughts....

What is Edmodo?
Edmodo is a private microblogging platform that teachers and students can use to send notes, links, files, alerts, assignments, and events to each other.

I like the use of  Edmodo as a literary tool.  It is a secure way for students to create their stories in an Internet enviornment.  I also like the fact that the students were able to develop a story with selected members outside of the classroom and then take these stories and use translate them into digital stories. I  also like the fact the students were able to receive 'safe' feedback from chosen individuals outside the classroom.  I think it is excellent practice in collaboration, as well as, practice before students eventually start posting materials publically. 

I think the Fairview Middle School students did an excellent job on their stories.  Obviously, they are still learning to develop and hone their skills but for the most part their teacher is taking them down the right road for learning these skills.  I am impressed that the teacher is integrating technology into the learning curriculum.

As with their writing skills, their communication skills are something they are developing in this class as per the mission statement of their teacher.  I thought many of the students were very articulate of their feelings towards the FSU students work.  I was even more impressed that many of them did not seem overly nervous.  Being able to articulate one's thoughts and feelings is a step in the right direction towards developing critical thinking skills.

I would consider using Edmodo in my science class.  Mostly for the fact that I think it is a good setting to practice technology skills.  I could see my students using it to document science related hypotheses and experiements.  I also think that it would be very motivational to link to university students the same way our class linked to the middle school students.  University students through Edmodo could become very good mentors towards public school students in any cirriculum. 

1 comment:

Lindstrom22015657 said...

I like your idea about linking your students to university students to discuss science!