Friday, November 5, 2010

The Limitations of Twitter and Texting

hw mch thort cn B cr8d n rel8ed n 140 chars or less?

This is a challenge... for me anyway.  I think its obvious when I'm trying to relate what I'm thinking I use a lot of room.  But what goes through the mind of the person reading it?  One of two things; first, depending on what the topic is about -  I'm thorough.  I believe my Intro to Special Education teacher referred to my last paper as "Wow!! very thorough and comprehensive."  It's probably because I have to sit and validate everything I write by backing my theories with examples.  OCD on my behalf, I suppose.  And then there is the second thought that could be going through their head - "OMG, she turned a 2 page paper into a 5 page paper."  And YES - I did.  Not everyone wants to spend all their free time reading my thoughts.  Especially when they have 30 more papers to read.  Sometimes keeping it simple and getting directly to the point is worth its weight in gold.  Wish I could take my own advice.  I wouldn't drive myself so nearly insane writing a simple paper.
 
Needless to say, I don't like hyphening my thoughts down to 140 characters.  Trying to find meaning and making sure my reader understands that meaning - is frustrating for me.  At the same time, I can see the advantages of pinpointing, well... your point.  In other words, cutting all the bull out and stating your thoughts directly.  Which at this point in this blog you've already figured out that I do indeed lack the ability to get to the point.  
 
So... yes indeed - I did alter what I was going to say to fit my ideas in 140 characters or less.  In fact, I used the texting translator just so I could shorten each word and add a bit more.  The movie Why Schools Kill Creativity was really good.  I don't think I added my opinion to Twitter in a justified manner.  Its such a big topic and the ideas in it very innovative.  How do you shorten a response to 140 characters or less and not add several replies just so you can finish your thoughts?  But that would have been breaking the rules and I had to find a way to shorten my thoughts, so I did.   I'm still not happy with my reply but you'll have that.  
 
At this point, I think its safe to say that Twitter and texting do have an impact on what I have to say on more thought prevoking topics.  I have to abbreviate or hyphen my thoughts into a cute compact package.  Although I do have to say, I don't think it slaughters my thoughts completely.  I see it as a challenge to come up with a way to say what I'm thinking without adding superfluous information.   

1 comment:

Lindstrom22015657 said...

I think Twitter works for particular purposes. I agree with you. It is not the right tool for thoughtful rhetoric!