Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Honoring Dialect and Increasing Student Performance in Standard English ~ Double Entry Journal #3

Quote:
But for now, these teachers are glad they can help their students feel pride in the heritage of their original dialect at the same time they are becoming successful writers in "the dialect of Standard English." (Epstein & Herring-Harris, 2011)
Reaction:
I hear my husband (Aaron) go back and forth between his professional speech (whether it be with his coworkers or with the kids and I) and his "back home speech".  However, over the years I never imaged this form of vernacular swapping would be encouraged in education.  I know that I tend to look at Aaron funny when we return to Jackon County and I hear "wheelbarry" fall from his mouth.  It occurs the moment he begins talking to his old farming friends and various characters from his hometown.  I think his "back home speech" makes him feel more comfortable in certain settings.  It is not that I believe Wood, Marion, or Mon County have better dialects but Jackson County tends to be a little different.  Different is not bad, it is just different.  I find it interesting that there are teachers who are encouraging students to use their various Appalachian dialect when at home (and with friends) and a more professional speak when in a professional setting.  Maybe it is this encouragement that will help Appalachians be successful in other enviornment.  I agree with the article "Honoring Dialect and Increasing Student Performance in Standard English", I can detect any and all dialects and drawls that I do have when I'm talking to someone who is not from the Appalachian areas.  It makes me self-conscious.  At that point, it takes me a lot longer to calculate and say precisely what I need to say.  After all the dreaded sentence that ends in a preposition (in which Applachian people have been made infamous) may come out at any moment, something I have been progressively working on.  <-- Oh look, I just did it again. 

Describe 3 things you learned about teaching literacy development.

I honestly did not know there was a way to allow Appalachian dialect to thrive while teaching students proper Standard English.  It does dimish the hurtful reactions many West Virginians may have when told their English is not up to par.  I am curious if other states are working on improving their Standard English skills as well.  Wisconsin, Massachuesetts, New Jersey, and parts of the deep south have some rather odd dialects that do not follow rules of "Standard English" per se.  In any case, I would like to personally visit a class that is able to promote both forms of language. 

Although I did state above that the region we live in is infamous with prepositional endings, I did not realize how badly it was affecting our test scores.   I do wonder how many teachers I had in the past who may have fallen between what is considered Standard English and our dialect.  Who have not either corrected the dialect issues since it does not hurt anyone who lives in Appalachia or did not completely understand where we error in our dialect.  I can imagine that it would be a challenge changing to habits in which you were raised and adjusting to the rules of Standard English for aspiring English teacher, unless they are just born with an innate ability to understand the rules of Standard English.  I can also say with certainty that I was not meant to be an English teacher since I am not completely sufficient in what dictates the rules of Standard English.   I do want to make sure that I possess a certain amount of professionalism (and I pride myself on this) in front of my own science classrooms; I believe it is important to set by example.  I will also admit that I may be flawed.  At least I am doubting myself after reading this article.

I find it interesting that Ms. Phillips has her students "track" the change in dialect from one location of Appalachia to the next.  I can see this as being effective because dialect can change quickly in a very short distance.  For example, the dialect between North Parkersburg and South Parkersburg is very different to the point that people from those two areas make fun of each other.  In any case, Ms. Phillips' technique would allow the students to compare the rules of Standard English to the slang and dialect of each area. 

Give 2 examples from your schooling experiences that reflected effective or ineffective literacy instruction for speakers of non-standard dialects.
In high school during my 11th grade year, which would have been 1993-1994, I experienced a horrific grammar/English class.  I am not sure what part of it was actually considered grammar.  I know that we focused mostly on spelling difficult words.  However, we did not focus on the meanings of the words nor did we touch down on grammatical structure.  I remember not doing well in her class, which was unusual for my performance in school, this also makes me think that the instruction might not have been up to par; combined with the fact she expressed obvious disrespect for all of her students.  It turned me off as a students in a grammar class, which I am positive did not help in my learning process.  There is also a possibility I turned her off that whole entire year, I've never like screaming teachers. 

A second example occured while I was seeking my Animal & Veteriary Science degree.  One of the requirements was English II and I actually looked forward to this class.  I had heard the class consisted of one large paper I would need to produce.  I like writing, so that seemed reasonable.  The rumors were true, one long paper that I would turn in over a period of 3 rough drafts and then a final draft.  The topic I chose was Near Death Experiences.  I ended up receiveing a lot of flack from the professor after my first draft because he did not believe in near death experiences which he could have told me when I turned in my topic.  However I had already written one rough draft over a period of two weeks complete with references and so forth, I could not imagine starting over again.  My first draft had so many red marks depicting so many grammatical errors that I am positive the paper was actually bleeding from all the wounds.  I fixed the problems using his sentence structure from his corrections, only to find out the next time around he still did not approve the changes I made and on top of that had added a bunch more red marks that weren't there the first time.  Not only was my paper wounded this time but my pride and my initiative.  This continued on to the third draft.  I got to the point where I did not care what he thought.  He was not instructing us on what was proper and what was not proper grammatical structure in "his" opinion.  And yes, at this point I began believing that proper grammatic structure was in the "eye of the beholder".  I was frustrated, misguided, and done with the project.  I just wanted to turn in the paper and receive whatever grade he deemed was suitable.  I ended up with a 'B' in the course and moved on.  The class seemed like wasted time, which only promoted more frustration and a turn off for the whole subject.  I to this day dislike grammar and English.

Explain 1 relationship between the strategies for the teaching of literacy presented in this article and Inclusive practices.
The students are encouraged to speak in their own dialect while in the classroom.  They are not band from expressing themselves in a way they are most comfortable.  If the moment the students walked in the classroom they were forced to speak in Standard English only, I do not feel they would embrace the learning process.  After all, the subject of dialect tend to be a sensitive topic in West Virginia.  Step into a classroom and tell students that they speak improper English and see how much resistance finds its way in the front of the classroom.  In fact they may reject what is considered the rules of Standard English and then the objective of the class would be pointless.  Feeling uncomfortable with who you are and how you relate to the rest of the world is a horrible feeling.  Instead this class is meant to help the students excel in professional settings yet feel comfortable with one's own roots.  This is an exceptional class because the struggle between one's background and how the rest of the world perceives that individual is personal.  To be able to combine the two worlds is miraculous. 

Related Source:

(Fox News)


This video focuses on Ebonics which like the Appalachian dialect has become a subcultural language.  This particular educator has a different approach in teaching Standard English to promote professionalism.  He states "...the language isn't looked upon as being deviant or incorrect" so teachers and parents are correcting the problems; which I feel is the reason why Appalachian dialect has not been corrected over the years.  However it isn't going to lead kids to a higher paying, professional career.

References:
Epstein, P., & Herring-Harris, L. (2011, September 15). Honoring dialect and increasing
     student performance in standard english. Retrieved from      http://www.nwp.org/cs/public/print/resource/3655


Fox News. (Producer) (n.d.). Fox news and black english - ebonics [Theater].
     Available from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_KKLkmIrDk


No comments: