Wednesday, June 11, 2014

LeVar Burton's Thoughts on Reading Rainbow and Where We are Today Regarding Digital Literacy

"We just went to the point of purchase, where kids were hanging out, and brought them back to the written word. And we’re doing the same thing now, using the prevailing technology of the day. Then it was TV, now it’s digital media. And we’re using that very important engagement factor to feed them something worthwhile." ~ LeVar Burton

Reading Rainbow was obviously a huge success in the 80s through the 90s up to 2009.  What I hadn't realized was the fact that as I watched it as a kid, the producers were playing on my enthusiasm for television to encourage reading.  LeVar Burton and his colleagues were innovative enough to see what attracts kids (instead of turning their attention away) and how to use it to educate as a tool.  Today it is digital media and Burton will continue to utilize what some educators see as a "downfall of society"and continue to inspire the next generation.  It will be interesting to see how the new App - Reading Rainbow succeeds.  Hopefully my future grandkids will fall in love with it.  I know what Burton can produce.







First Episode courtesy of my imagination and nostalgia


3 comments:

Lindstrom22015657 said...

This supper cool Jamie! thanks for sharing! I'm getting the App now!

Jaime said...

LOL! That's fantastic! I am going to add it to my iPad myself.

- Jared St. Martin Brown said...

I love Levar Burton and Reading Rainbow. We have had the app on my iPad for over a year now, but it is a very expensive subscription. Burton has a Kickstarter campaign going on now to help make it free to all.