Sunday, June 22, 2014

Weekly Reading #5 ~ Perception and Interpretation of Multimodal Texts

Chapter 4
Nifwil Helix
"We cannot know objects in reality in and of themselves; we always are bound by our senses and interpretive contexts.  Nor can we represent the meanings we want neutrally, objectively, or in their entirety.  In other words, we cannot step outside our senses, minds, and cultures to know something from a "god's eye view" or fully objective perspective" (Serafini, 2014).
I think this is something important to remember when we give students a literary piece whether it is multimodal or one mono modal.  We interpret our world from our point-of-view, we often choose to be harsh because someone cannot perceive the world around them the same way we do.  I think we can bring our own experiences and ideas together to look at something from various view points but we should use caution in defining any piece narrowly.  There has been a few a times when I interpreted a story from my own point-of-view, only to find out later during a test that I was completely wrong due to the teacher's point-of-view.  My thoughts have always been, "How can this be?"  I read the entirety of the story… this is what I gained… this is how I interpreted it.  It does not mean that I do except others' interpretations and it is why I love communication with classmates.  It helps me see an object or subject from others' perspectives which widens my own world.  

Chapter 5
"As digital technologies make producing and disseminating multimodal ensembles easier, changes in the way people use these texts and the power relations between producer and consumer are continually evolving; the nature of authorship, reader, viewer, and publisher have begun to blur as changes in the sociocultural practices involving the production, dissemination, and interpretation of multimodal ensembles occur….  For better or worse, brick and mortar bookstores have gone out of business because of these changes in the delivery of text" (Serafini, 2014).
I have several thoughts on the quote above.  First, we've opened the door for several publishers in the community.  This makes creating artwork or written work not as exclusive. In other words, publishing your work is not painful.  Many options are available such as the blog that I am writing in at this moment.  All I have to do is his "Post" and it is available to the world.  I can even be compensated for my work if I allow advertisements on my page.  Second, that means we need to be judicial in what we share with our students on the web.  Anyone can post anything at any point in time.  It doesn't mean it is safe for our young readers in that interpretation can be a skewed as truth and then repeated as truth.  I like Wikipedia for quick facts on a general topic.  I don't like Wikipedia for quoting research since it can be edited by anyone at any point in time.  Finally, I am sad to see books begin to disappear but not sad at the same time.  Books are not disappearing, they are just taking a form that is more convenient.  I look at my bookshelf across my room and I see books stacked horizontally, vertically, and for lack of a better term "falling off."  There are no true or best ways to store a book when you begin to collect so many.  Eventually pages are torn and the book becomes an allergen as mold begins to collect on pages.  My greatest love is my Shakespearian Memoirs and complete Works copyright dated 1847.  However, I also have over 20 books on my iPad which takes up very little space, is convenient to carry around, and will never mold.  I could argue that a book may disappear but since it is stored in my iCloud after purchase, I'm not sure that is a valid argument.  

Deviant Art
Chapter 5
"As students encounter visual images and multimodal ensembles, they need to be encouraged to consider not only the content of the image, but also its composition and organizational features" (Serafini, 2014).  

Reading this chapter I began to realize just how much goes into a multimodal text such as color, dots, lines, view point, shapes, etc… and how all of these things can be interpreted from a cultural standpoint.  I have a friend well versed in creating artwork from pointillism and I thought of her as the artist and how she wants her artwork portrayed.  How much thought she puts into each dot as she uses some to shade and some to add contrast.  I wish I had a picture or example.  I think this chapter has increased my thoughts on art and multimodal presentations and the thought the artist puts into each line, shape, etc….



Mind Unleashed

This particular multimodal artwork really spoke to me which is why I chose it to analyze.  I do not have a disease but I do have a disorder - epilepsy.  I do not let is own me but see is as an additional challenge in life.  I am not defined by my disorder.  I defy it.

Content Analysis:
  • What do I see?  A man using his own shielding to protect himself from that which he cannot control physically but can beat back from letting it control him wholly.  
  • What is the image about?  Taking control of your life.  Not allowing the burdens of life take control of you.
  • Are there people in the image?  There is one individual in the image.  What are they doing?  He is protecting himself from his own body.  He is not allowing his disease to define who he is.  How are they presented?  He is presented as strong.  Closing his eyes and looking away from his disease.  It does not own his mind.
  • Can the image be looked at by different ways?  Absolutely!  I look at this image from my own perspective and my own fight.  I would like to think that my disorder is not a fire breathing snake.  Others who cannot relate may see it as him turning his back from his disorder but in actuality there is only so far you can run.  Explain how the image may be interpreted from two different socio-cultural perspectives.  Which perspective is dominate?  I have always had epilepsy but I did not always know.  So I can see this from two different perspectives.  Until the day you walk in my shoes… you will never know the roller coaster I ride.  From someone who does not understand he may be seen as foolish.  There is only so far you can run, hide, or pretend like it does not exist. From someone who can relate with his stance, may either agree with the first person or see it as a challenge to overcome but never to own them.  The first perspective is more dominant.  As a culture, many times we see a disease or disorder as a weakness in which we cannot transcend  or overcome.  The dogma that still exists for epilepsy today is overwhelming.  There are still days I play hide and seek from myself.  
  • How effective is the image as a visual image?  It is very effective.  It carries a strong message about strength within and overcoming a challenge.

Mind Unleashed
Visual Analysis
  • How is the image composed?  What is the background and what is the foreground?  The background is a dark shade (dark gray, almost black) which represents a scary or dark mood.  This enhances the fire breathing snake or dragon that weighs heavily on the individual as a disease.  The foreground is the individual fighting a fire breathing dragon using his mental knight and shield. 
  • How is color used?  Since the main color is dark gray it represents the darkness of the situation.  However the center of the image is a glowing yellow.  This represents the hope the individual has that he can fight what is trying to suppress him.  
  • Can the image be looked at different way?  Yes.  Any image depending on the viewpoint of the interpreter can be seen in different ways.  Someone who cannot relate to the picture may see that the knight and shield are too small to block the dragon.  After all the fire is almost encompassing the shield.  Depending on the viewpoint, the interpreter may also see the dragon or disease as much larger than the individual fighting it. 
  • What meanings are conveyed by design choice?  From my point of view, the individual is turning his back and eyes away from that which is trying to own him.  The artwork is a bleed meaning there is no border.  The intension is to draw the viewer into the image (Serafini, 2014).  The dragon represents the disease and the knight represents the mental block the individual has produced to fight the dragon/disease.  The individual is radiating a glow from within his mental block to fight the darkness around him.  He also has his eyes closed blocking the illness or dragon from is thoughts and vision.  


Citation
Serafini, F. (2014). Reading the visual: an introduction to teaching multimodal literacy. (p. 37, 
        47, 67). New York, NY : Teachers College Press.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jaime,

"As students encounter visual images and multimodal ensembles, they need to be encouraged to consider not only the content of the image, but also its composition and organizational features" (Serafini, 2014).

I was also surprised to read about all the different aspects of art that go into creating every image of multimodal text. It made me wonder just how long some images take to create. I am also curious to how many artist use computer programs to make their symbols and logos these days. Creating by hand just doesn't fit into our busy schedules now a day! I like the image you chose to accompany this quote as well. Very complex and beautiful art!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.