Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Multimodal Presentation Revision

I revised my multimodal presentation to a more personal note on why I love STEM education.  I realized I was missing a personal component when it came to creativity.  My enthusiasm for STEm education is apparent in most papers I write and always in my discussions and in classroom.  My multimodal presentation was missing that component which gave it a lack of creativity.  Statistics are fantastics and cut-dry fact but I love STEM education because it simulates real life scenarios.  It utilizes real tools in technology and I feel like that is what students connect to.

Another component that is missing is an example of my drive for STEM education or a particular passion which happens to be Women in Science which is understandable since I am a woman in science.  As a STEM educator I do have target audiences and students who I have to make sure get the attention and exposure they need to succeed.  Girls are often left behind in the science classroom as they get older due to boys becoming more vocal and stereotypes girls feel they need to fill in their teenage years.  The misrepresented and often left behind girls do tend to be minorities.  Which is something I am working on representing in my classroom right now.  I have to seek them out.  Not often enough am I sought out.  You don't seek out what you don't know exists.  If that makes sense.

I also changed it to a video that rotates on its own.  I did not like the Prezi.  I love Prezi when I'm standing in front of a crowd and talking but not for the multimodal presentation in which I tried to create a mood.  I am hoping my addition of background music is positively received and not a distraction.

Problem Solving
I did try to cut down on wording and emphasize images both metonymy and metaphor, as well as students engaging in STEM which is a powerful image in itself.  One of the jobs I've taken on at the ERC is posting pictures of engagement on our FB page.  I want teachers to see students engulfed in an activity such as the image of students "problem-solving" in the video.  That's a very powerful image beyond words. The students are thinking at an application level, which is what we strive for when we teach.  Not only that but both boys and girls are engaged in this image. They are not working together, which I would love to see.  They are obviously separated into groups of girls and groups of boys but it is also the age where this is more comfortable for them, therefore - I'll take it.   In that particular image I was no longer "The Sage on the Stage," I had become the "Guide on the Side."  That's the great substance behind STEM based learning.  The students take over and really think about their goals.  They want to succeed and at that moment they step into the shoes of a scientist.


No comments: