Thursday, September 11, 2014

Reflecting on our Love/Hate Relationship with Media

For this activity I am reviewing my classmates ideas on various medias in the links below.

Print Media
Visual Media
Sound Media


Summary of the "Big Idea"

The big idea I pulled from print media is that everyone loves what a book, newspaper, or magazinefeels like.  It seems to invoke tactile pleasure.  However, at the same time printed issues cause clutter and waste.  Once something is read once, it often is thrown to the side and not read again.  But then what exactly do you with a used magazine, newspaper, or book that you have invested in.  Recycling is always an option but instead we tend to tuck magazines and books into all sorts of places.  In fact, I use old books as decorations around my house.  For example - The picture to the left contains several books that I use for decorations.  Some of them I have read.  Some of them I love.  Others I just think are really neat to have around the house.  Maybe one day I'll read them.

Me in the last Batman Movie
The big idea I pulled from visual media is that everyone loves visual evidence.  This makes sense.  As a whole, I think people like to "see" what is going on in a story or photo.  What everyone dislikes about visual media is time consumption.  Whether you are making a video or taking time to sit and what a video - time and patience is a major limiting factor.  Visual evidence requires a lot of eye candy.  We want vivid visuals in movies and on tv.  Something that provokes the imagination.  On a side note:  I was in the last Batman movie.  I had two closeups!


Say What?!
The big idea that I saw in the sound media board is that sound can help when trying to decode someone
else's mood status.  For instance during texting it is often hard to decode a sentence that can be meant in  a couple of different ways.  When we listen to someone talk, we know if the sentence is meant to be offensive or not.  The biggest message I saw in terms of disliking sound media is that sound alone can cause confusion.  For those who are visual learners, audio can really throw us off.


The biggest idea I saw in the digital media board is that it promotes creativity.  It helps us create unique material for personal and professional reasons.  A main idea that I saw for reasons to hate digital media is that copyright laws are weird online and easy to break.  I think many people break copyright without even realizing it.    Online material is so easy to access - sharing, copying, sampling…we've all been there but when do we cross the line?


Option 2:  ABC's Once Upon a Time

ABC's Once Upon a Time
I'm not a huge TV watcher.  I have a few shows I enjoy and for the most part they have to be aired on Netflix for me to have a chance to see them since we do not have cable or a dish.  Therefore, Once Upon a Time fits my criteria.  I LOVE fantasy.  Once Upon a Time mixes all the fairy tales, intertwining them into a twisted reality.  Rumplestiltskin is not only a gold spinning imp but the Beast from Beauty and the Beast.  "Rumple" is Belle's true love.  Snow White is more than just a princess, she is a archery genius who is good at tracking.  Red Riding Hood really is the wolf.  The Evil Queen and the Wicked Witch of the West are half sisters.  Trying to figure out who is going to come out of the woodwork next is the best part of watching Once Upon a Time.  Who is going to spin themselves into the tale?  Currently, I'm sitting on the edge of my seat trying to figure out why Rumplestiltskin (A.K.A. Mr. Gold) is hearing multiple voices.  Is he going mad?  Will he become the "Dark One" once again?  Once Upon a Time has a way of luring the viewer in.  The story is constantly changing as the multitude of storybook characters jump from their page onto the big screen.  I actually enjoy the way the show twists the characters into something new.  As if they were misunderstood in the storybook.  Rapunzel wasn't trapped by a wicked witch.  She ate from a root to rid herself of her fears after her brother died trying to save her from drowning.  When her fear appeared it appeared in the form of a cloaked witch and she thought that which she feared most was trapping her.  When the cloak was lowered it was herself.  She was trapping herself in the tower.  Not a wicked witch.  Deep down she did not want to leave the tower.  She feared her parents disapproving gaze from the incident with her brother in her childhood.  When she overcame her fear, she was released.  Quite an odd twist.

The only thing I dislike about Once Upon a Time is the fact that they mix Fairytales with Mythology.  The Gorgon Medusa appears in the third season.  Snow decides she's going to use Medusa's head to freeze the Evil Queen in stone.  To do this would be to deny the story of the demigod Perseus.  I LOVE Greek mythology.  So that didn't set well with me.  Snow kills Medusa to free her Prince Charming after he is accidentally turned to stone. Besides Medusa was misunderstood.  Her punishment for marrying Poseidon and breaking her vow to Athena was to become a monster.  How sad.  I digress.  I don't really pick up on mistakes made in the film.  So I thought I'd check out the forums and see if other people do.  As matter of fact - they do.  I found a site that has sited 205 mistakes from the first two seasons.    I tried to read through most of the "mistakes."  To me it is all picky and petty.  There is a scene where the sign on the building reads "Storybrooke Coffee Co." but on the side of the building apparently the name of the store is "Stevenston Coffee Co." because the store actually sits in Steventson, Canada.   But speaking of which, I'm not really sure why the name is Storybrooke and not Storybook.  Storybook makes more sense to me.

I think the oddest stuff on the forum is a debate as to how the dagger for the "Dark One" should be held.  The first few people who hold it apparently hold it a particular way.  Therefore the people afterwards that hold it, if held different, are holding it wrong.  I'm confused as to these debates mostly because I watch the show to satisfy my love for fantasy writing.  From what I gather not everyone watches the show for entertainment value.  They are watching the show for much more.  I'm not sure what the motive is for watching every inconsistency or how they remember the details enough so that they can find inconsistencies.  It is rather intriguing.  My memory is not that good.




3 comments:

walesca2003 said...

I like once upon a time but you are right they really crosses all the stories.

The bad guys end up being the good guys like Regena and Rumpel.

Then Miss Swan becomes the bad mom and it gets crazier and crazier.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lindstrom22015657 said...

What! You are in the latest Batman movie! Got gI appreciate your thorough analysis of the media boards! I agree with your assessment that we love the visual but it is time consuming and perhaps addicting (eye candy). Sound is offers intimacy but it's better when accompanied by a visual.

Thanks for the review of Once Upon a time. Sounds like I need to check it out!