Friday, September 5, 2014

Week 3: Activity 2 Blog Posting 2 Aspects of my Favorite Digital story

The digital story I chose from came from the Center of Digital Storytellying Youtube Channel.




Part of Me - A Digital Story by Debbie Chandler

  • Point of View. What is the point of view in each? Whose voice do you hear?
Of the three videos I watched the point of view was first person in every single one.  The voice was by the storyteller.  This made all 3 videos very personal.

  • Dramatic Question. What is the dramatic question?
She was asked to sing a ballad for her Granny's funeral that her Granny had sung to her when she was little on the front porch.

  • Emotional Content. Stories that include incidences of loss, redemption, crisis, or change are key to keeping your audience engaged and interested. Emotional content is what everybody can relate to and what makes stories so universal. What is the emotional content of the story? How or why do you relate to it?
May 1979 - My grand-dad and Me
The emotional content is the bond between a grandmother and grand-daughter.  Although I lost my grandmother at age 3 and never experienced what a grandmother was like, I can relate because my relationship with my grandfather was much the same.  When I was very young I stayed the night just about every weekend and listened to his stories.  By the time I was in high school I visited 6 days a week and listened to the same stories.  Oh how I miss those stories.  This video brought a tears to my eyes as the days creep up to the 20th year since I found him dead on his bathroom floor.  I did not get a chance to sing at my grandfather's funeral due to his wishes of no funeral at all.  But there are so many times that a memory brings me back to sitting on my grandfather's porch or his living room and I feel like I'm there again.  

1 comment:

Carolanne Ray Keim said...

What do you like about the video?
I loved that what I believed to be her grandmother signing at the very beginning and then her singing the same song at the end. Brought such a personal touch.
What did you learn from the video?
I learned more about ballads. I didn’t realize the difference they were from just a song.
How do you think the video support a healthy respect for multiculturalism?
This video represents a part of our past that is fading. Ballads are part of certain cultures that not everyone is aware of. I personally have not ever heard a ballad.