Friday, October 17, 2014

Common Core Magazine Cover

My magazine cover on Common Core was meant to show the "balance" that needs to be made between the Standards and the individual student in the classroom.  I like the idea behind the standards. In other words, I think that we should all be moving towards the same goals to make sure our students have the same advantage whether they are in an inner city school or a rural school.  I like the fact, that Common Core includes literacy in all core subjects.  I also like the fact that Common Core is supposed to include higher learning thinking skills, as well as the advantage of technology in the classroom and social media.  There are a few good theories but somewhere along the way, as usual with past attempts to improve teaching, I think the individual student is forgotten.  I don't like the idea of standardized tests and I'm afraid that with the push for college readiness and hurried subjects - the creativity of the individual student will diminish.  I will also state, I don't like the "new Math" at all.  Hence, the term "fuzzy math."  

In creating my magazine cover, I used four different language of persuasion techniques:  Symbol, Timing, Expert, and Simple Solution.  I used a symbol -  an old fashion balance.  The balance is a metaphor for the balance that needs to occur in the classroom.  I also used a symbol for common core - a couple of apples, some are whole others reveal their core.  This is another metaphor.  Another language of persuasion would be timing.  My magazine is just in time for the hot topic of Common Core, along with the myths and facts that go along with this debate.  You could also say, balance is a simple solution to a heavy debate in this country.  How do you go about balance?  Is it that easy?  The magazine seems to think so.  I did add an "expert" in STEM to my magazine to make it seem credible.

The main topic is bolded in red to draw the reader into focusing on it.  There is also some hidden meaning in the font color I chose.  Red can symbolize passion and love but it can also symbolize war and danger.  With my concerns over standardized testing being meaningless as the end result, I chose red to symbolize danger.  The font is in a chalkboard style to symbolize - school. 

Citations:
Media Literacy Project. (n.d.). Introduction to media literacy. Retrieved from Introduction to Media Literacy

van Loggerenberg , R. (2012, Nov 19). As media: examples of media language techniques used in magazines. Retrieved from http://reniermedia.wordpress.com/2012/11/19/as-media-examples-of-media-language-techniques-used-in-magazines/

Images:
Student http://images.clipartpanda.com/classroom-clip-art-jcxp6jRcE.gif
Bar Code https://worldbarcodes.com/wp-content/uploads/ISSN.jpg
Balance https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjh8QRoiBD22A4wPjYn2grqzr2Jk0FXdlWV0ZMrjVDJ5jzZc9fGd6UpTN4Ko_uQCnYhn-m67_F7h_vLdVdCFyaucKyBuMOHX1tmAcAXTvlE8mT1jh6CXH0xmDBMap7big94rHEla4Wa_bw/s1600/764px-Balanced_scale_of_Justice_svg.png
Apples http://www.foodclipart.com/food_clipart_images/apples_and_cores_0515-0906-0401-1841_SMU.jpg

6 comments:

Raphael Snell said...

I love the acronym this is a great cover of the assignment! The scale gives me the sense of needing a balanced approach to standards. On one side I see a student engaged and asking a question and on the other different apples (red and green) eaten an uneaten... (could this make a far fetched reach to "Snow White" by the evil Common Core Witch?) probably not yet there are 2 good apples and 2 cores, which leads to the math and the question of whether there are 2 apples or 4. The addition of "Fuzzy Math" is the term that caught my eye as if math isn't a struggle for a lot of students anyway to term it "Fuzzy" adds to the defeated attitude many students come to the classroom with. This work is very well thought out and very nicely done!

Shannon DeWitt said...

I love this cover! It is one of the best, for sure! I like the layout and how all the article titles are in bold, it really grabbed my attention. I also used an acronym as my magazine title, great idea! This cover screams to me "education zine." The scales are a nice touch to show the sense of balance the common core is trying to establish.

walesca2003 said...

Jamie I liked your beautiful cover your lay out was very well balance and pleasing to the eye. It flowed smoothly not busy very nicely done.

It made me feel like I could read it and learn about key subject of Common Core like what your interpretation of Fuzzy Math meant.

Over all great job.

Unknown said...

I see the title SPLAT. It makes me think of the fun things that elementary students do. The words Balance in the common core design gets me thinking about how is the common core is balanced. The balance on your cover helps illustrate the words.

Unknown said...

Jaime, you did a great job with this cover! Your attention to detail shows. I see a very visible, colorful theme. The scale makes me think this publication will cover the topic in a balanced manner, and that both sides of the common core will be explored. I love that you threw in the headlines at the bottom that include your own cameo. Very creative and fun to look at! Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...


I like the acronym that you chose for your magazine cover. The bold black and red font and large words draw attention to the subtitles and the captions. The short phases made me want to read about each of the articles in the magazine. Also, your graphic of the balance and the corresponding subtext in all caps leads the readers to understand the importance of making sure that the common core design is balanced.