Sunday, October 26, 2014

Media Deconstruction


Below are 2 media deconstructions on Century Link and AllTel.  

 Century Link 

Do you agree with the claims made in the deconstruction? 
I agree with some of the interpretations.  The images in each scene are very clean, cut  images which could be interpreted as success.  I'm not sure I would interpret the stairs as progressive since the slinkies are moving downwards.  That's the one idea that caught in my mind as I was watching it - why would anything be moving downwards in a metonymy and metaphorically filled commercial?  I do agree that the various backgrounds states that the service can be used anywhere.  


Is the Century Link ad really a cover for a company that is making profits over customer satisfaction? 
Through experience with any data/communication service, I have to agree with the deconstruction.  There is no way that the whole country in various regions are experiencing the same good connections.  I've been promised that one too many times.  And like the deconstruction stated - Frontier (one of the 3 competitors) disappointed me to the point I cancelled it, as well as Verizon - "Can you hear me now?"  Yea…. I had to ask people that all the time because they never could hear me when I finally did get the service to work.  I will have to note that there has to be some sort of concern with regards to customer satisfaction.  If there isn't, then they won't last long.  The claim has to be partially correct.

What is your interpretation of the commercial? 
When I look at the Century Link commercial a slinky toy is the obvious "link" between all of the images.  The word "slinky" can refer to something that is "graceful and sinuous in movement, line, or figure."  I believe the image of a slinky is meant to convey the company's commitment through metonymy-  to offer services that are connected gracefully.  The slinky being a spring could also represent the physical representation of a link, such as in a chain link, meant to "link" the two companies together.  This would be another use of metonymy.  I also want to add that the slinky is a beloved toy in American Culture.  You can't look at a slinky without some sort of happy childhood memory, well… except for the fact that a I never successfully got the slinky to go down the stairs and my brother always knotted it up for me.  I'm sure the ad company spent a long time on trying to find the right visual representation that pulls away from the fact that Century Link is still a company seeking profit.
 
I think the clean, cut images of the various groups of people is meant to bring a personal perspective in on a huge corporate take over.  I know when AllTel was taken over by Verizon - I freaked.  Rightly, so at that.  Verizon did not own it's own towers like AllTel did and the fall out was huge.  I was often refused service when trying to make important phone calls.  There are other times when corporate take overs affected other services I had as well.  I think Century Link is trying to cover up the skepticism of the public with  "warm and fuzzy" images.  

AllTel

Does the Alltel ad really promote racism or stereotypes of immigrants? Why or Why not?
I don't think AllTel is promoting racism as much as trying to make a funny, non politically correct joke towards Gypsies.  It doesn't mean I agree with it.  In America, there are several different groups of Gypsies so placing a certain "ethnic face" on them would be a stereotype.   But I don't think it was an intentionally meant to hurt anyone.  I think the idea was to make the Gypsies wildly, crazy different from the family that lived there as a shock and humor factor.  I wander how the Center for Media Literacy would have interpreted the commercial if the family would have been Hispanic as opposed to white?  Someone (no matter the race or ethnicity) had to question their cell phone bill.  I know from paying my $285 cell phone bill today, I'm ready to begin renting out the kids rooms.  I really don't care who the renters are.  

What is your interpretation of the commercial? 
My interpretation of the commercial is that someone with a bigger house than mine is complaining about their cell phone bill.  I expect the house to be clean.  It always is in television and commercial life.  That does not bother me.  You can't sell a product in a sloppy environment.  It is not attractive.  AllTel appears to have a friendly company service because the family has let them into their home with welcoming arms and are freely talking to company service.  Customer service obviously has all the right answers.  

How does it differ from the interpretation offered by the Center for Media Literacy?
The one thing I do agree with in regards to the interpretation by CML, is that pricing is completely hidden by cell phone services. They are never truly honest with what your cell phone bill is going to be.  AT&T is very friendly when you walk through their doors but a $160/month bill quickly turns into $285/month once factors such as the cost of the phone under contract, taxes, fees, and other made up (honestly, I think it is made up) charges are added to the bill.  It is never as affordable as the commercial states.  


 

No comments: