Friday, October 3, 2014

Digital Story - 17 Years in Reverse





This is a digital story of my love for my husband and my family and how it has evolved in the last 17 years, starting in the end and ending at the start.  At age 20, I was engaged to a rather abusive, mentally and physically, man.  I didn't have the self-respect or the self-esteem I needed to leave.  So many things went through my head that convinced me to stay.  Aaron taught me so many things in the year that we were just friends.  He taught me that I could connect on a higher level with someone and that connection could be made of mutual respect.  After that it all fell into place.

My dramatic question/statement:  I often think back to that day, 17 years ago.  The day that changed everything that I thought was right in the world… but wasn't really.  The day that I looked at him twice and then down at the small diamond that sat on my left ring finger.  The day I made an important life changing decision.



Raise Awareness of a Social Problem
Although it is not something I like to talk about in person, I do mention the fact that I felt trapped in an abusive relationship.  In modern times, this is still a social issue.  All I was taught growing up and I still walked right into one.  I still shake my head in disbelief.  As much as we try to educate our girls on self-esteem and how we should be treated, there are those that still find that horrible path.

Flickr
Build Self-Esteem
As hard as it is for me to talk about parts of my past, it is healthy that I do.  Although I have found myself over the last couple of weeks reliving stuff that I would rather not.  What I do need to celebrate is the fact that I have grown into a strong woman.  Maybe I should not have needed someone else to point out to me that it didn't have to be that way but none-the-less I can say, "Yes I survived it!  And here is my story, 17 years later."


Digital Stories & Science:
There are whole websites devoted to Digital Science Stories such as the story below.  This particular website, Educational Uses of DigitalStorytelling, says it best, "The topics used in digital storytelling range from personal tales to the recounting of historical events, from exploring life in one’s own community to the search for life in other corners of the universe, and literally, everything in between." (University of Houston, College of Education, 2014).  There really isn't an application in which a digital story would not fit.  It is a great product for an PBL or WebQuest.  In fact, the website points out that not only does it fit in every content area and a wide range of grade level, but it is also applicable "…in neighborhood community centers, schools, libraries and businesses, by novice technology users to those with advanced skills" (University of Houston, College of Education, 2014).



This particular Digital Story is about 3 Dimensional Printing and how it is used in the classroom.  It is a rather interesting video connecting ideas out of Star Trek ("a dream about the future") to reality.  In fact, I just pulled 3D printer parts out of our $20,000 machine an hour ago.  At some point, she then goes into her 3D printing adventure - how she started with research, proceeded with the CAD program, and eventually hit print.

Photo by NASA
I think it is easy to see why Digital Storytelling would work as an informative video in Science.  I think NASA revealed that the Aral Sea is mostly dried up.   With the amount of information we have on the Aral Sea, which includes Google Earth images, conservation efforts, ecology & biology (abiotic & biotic) reports, agricultural/political/social information a student could build one hell of a digital story.  Conservation efforts to restore the sea have failed, a fishing village is gone, the people that remain are dying of cancer.  It is sad but the only way we are going to keep this from happening today it to show the story.  Tell it over and over again.  Show the faces of the people left behind and the fish that are gone.
it could also work as an emotional appeal as well.  As a biology teacher I have used the Aral Sea as a current man-made disaster that definitely has serious shock value.  Recently,

CSOs
Every single one of these CSOs could be covered in the digital story of the Aral Sea if the student knew what sort of checklist to cover or had a detailed rubric:
Objective: SC.O.B.2.18 evaluate environmental factors that affect succession, populations and communities.
Objective: SC.O.B.2.19 propose ecosystem models that incorporate interactions of biotic and abiotic environmental variables (e.g., biogeochemical cycles).
Objective: SC.O.B.2.22 analyze graphs, GIS data and traditional maps reflecting changes in population to predict limiting factors in ecosystems as they determine carrying capacity.

Beyond this set of objectives the student could also cover an additional objective with this lesson by using technology:
Standard: SC.S.B.3 Application of ScienceStudents will
Objective: SC.O.B.3.3 communicate experimental designs, results and conclusions using advanced technology tools.

When I originally wrote the lesson plan for my Webquest, the product was a PPT poster but thinking back on it - a digital story would be better and would tell me more about what the students learned.

Citation
University of Houston, College of Education. (2014).Educational uses of digital storytelling. Retrieved from http://digitalstorytelling.coe.uh.edu/example_stories.cfm?categoryid=12
 

4 comments:

walesca2003 said...

The best thing about your story is everything yout lay out, the way it transitions through each frame nice job.
I would like to know more about why you chose to go into your line of work?
One thing you should think about
changing is nothing I like it.

Another good thing about your story is its very detailed and very informative I really don't know what else to say about it.

Unknown said...

I like that you made the perspective of your story different. It made it unique to step gradually in the past with you. You also include a vast array of information, both family and professional, which I enjoyed. Well done!

XYZ said...

My favorite aspect of your video was your decision to craft a reversed chronological narrative. We usually tell stories from beginning to end, but that isn’t necessarily how we view our own stories; they’re our own experiences and we reminiscence backward. Thank you for sharing your story. It is one that I’m sure would please your storytelling mother-in-law.

Jaime said...

Ah Tiffany! Have we had this discussion before about my mother-in-law. Of course you know her with your involvement at the Folklore center. : )