Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Our favorite small town businesses

I took the kids to our favorite small town animal store to purchase some new fish and tank accessories. Its been a few months since we have done any upgrades on our 55 gallon tank, one of the best features in our house I must add. In any case, I knew the moment I walked in that there was something wrong. There was less to choose from, a sign stating no more club membership discounts, and the prices have risen significantly. Like every other small business, they have been hit with the recession.
I spent $52 in there today. Probably about $40 more than I intended, just to show my support. I hate this recession. There is no way I'm going to buy my fish at Wally World or any of the other chain pet stores where the fish aren't taken care of properly and are usually thick with disease. I want to be able to buy my pet stuff in my town from people who live in my town. That's all - its really a rather simple request.

On a side note - I love the new background, trees, and the 4 fish I bought. Its all absolutely beautiful. I think in a couple of weeks, the kids and I'll go back. I could use a few more fish and a few more plants, maybe some more rocks....

Anyone else have to watch their favorite small town business go out of business?

No comments: