Thursday, April 30, 2009

What's that in my garden?



I was admiring the herbs in my garden when I happened to look over at the lemon balm and saw something that wasn't suppose to be there. Another mushroom had made itself at home in my garden. But this time it wasn't just any old mushroom. No - I recognized this fella. It was a morel or more lovingly known as a mollymoocher. I probably wouldn't have recognized it if Granny Sue hadn't just wrote about them in her blog. I must have jumped out of my skin as I realized what I had just found. I gathered up all the ones I could see, which weren't many, and I ran to show Aaron. He took one look and said, "Yep, you found mollymoochers."



I am used to seeing mushrooms in my garden. They come up all the time. I usually leave them since my knowledge is limited on mushrooms. Plus, their lifespan is short and in the end they feed my soil. I've seen all sorts pop up in my garden from the beautiful fairy ring mushrooms to the little ugly, spindly mushrooms. But none that I thought I could harvest. This time I felt like I had struck gold since I love mushrooms. I wonder if they will come back from year to year or if this was just a fluke? Perhaps a seed that was planted when the mulch came in? Its life's little surprises like these, that keep me happy.

No comments: