Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Veggie gardening with James



James and I spent Sunday planting seeds in this years veggie garden. He told me in all his sweetness, "I'll do anything you want me to do Mommy." I thought to myself for a moment and then I said, "Alright James! I need you to fill this bowl for me with Miracle Gro and we are going to get started." His enthusiasm was definitely infectious.

We started with the peas putting 46 seeds in the ground (2 in each hole plus indeterminate plants, just in case) and of course, James planted them all. After we finished with the peas James was still revved up and ready to help. So we moved onto the green beans and put 22 more seeds in the ground but then the neighbor kid came home and his attention turned to playing. Which was okay because he had worked so hard up to that point, it was definitely time for him to go have some fun. I finished planning out where the tomatoes would be and planted the cucumber seeds, a few more onions, as well as, the squash and zucchini. I still have to plant my eggplant and my green peppers. After I figure out where they are going to be I hope I have room for a few more green bean plants. In any case, I'm hoping in a few weeks I'll have a rather green garden.
This years victory garden and herb garden are considerably bigger than last years. I absolutely can't wait to watch them grow and see how much they produce. Of course, my favorite part will be actually eating it.

4 comments:

laoi gaul~williams said...

how great he is so enthused!
our allottment is no where near ready to use this season so have a few bits in my garden~peas, beans, red peppers...

Jaime said...

The tomatoes are the biggest reason that I grow a garden. I really like homegrown vs. grocery much better. The second is that I love to work the soil and grow something from seed. There is definitely a satisfaction in it.

Country Whispers said...

Nice to have lil' ambitious helpers isn't it. I still have to plant tomatoes and peppers but have everything else in. This is only out 2nd year of gardening but I love it. Very Rewarding!

Jaime said...

Country Whispers its only my 2nd year for my veggies as well. A little longer on the herb garden but I think I have found my nitch in life.