Wednesday, February 29, 2012

All I really need to know (About Creative Thinking) I learned (By Studying How Children Learn) In Kindergarten ~ Double Entry Journal #9

In a blog posting, copy and paste three quotes that have moved you in some way (i.e. surprised, confused, disagree, strongly agree). Then in a paragraph state why you have selected each quote and include a hyperlink to an online article, blog posting, video or podcast related to what you have read.

Quote #1:
Unfortunately, most schools are out-of-step with today’s needs: they were not designed to help students develop as creative thinkers (Resnick).

Quote #2
"At a workshop in Hong Kong, a 12-year-old boy created a wearable jukebox that played different songs when you inserted different coins, and an 11-year-old girl added lights to her boots and programmed them to turn different colors based on the pace of her walk, as measured by sensors that she attached to her boots." (Resnick)



Quote #3
"Friedrich Froebel understood this idea when he opened the world’s first kindergarten in 1837. Froebel filled his kindergarten with physical objects (such as blocks, beads, and tiles) that children could use for building, designing, and creating. These objects became known as Froebel’s Gifts. Froebel carefully designed his Gifts so that children, as they played and constructed with the Gifts, would learn about common patterns and forms in nature." (Resnick)



Reaction - First of all I would like to state that it was hard to pick just three quotes.  I was surprised and awed by the whole article.  I had no idea the article was going to progress from Kindergarten like mentality in school to digital technologies.  I didn't see that one coming.  I don't know if it was an abrupt segway or what happened.  Second, I've never heard or have seen a Cricket.  I would like my child to experience this tool as well.  I can only imagine how far it would stretch their imagination.  I always tend to underestimate children and thier abilities, especially when it comes to technology which is part of my reasoning for choosing Quote #2.  I was taken off guard by all the examples the author stated, in which the children took this simple robotic tool and made fascinating and innovative works of art as well as uses.  An 11-year-old girl can added lights to her boots and programmed them to turn different colors based on the pace of her walk (Resnick)?  I have to shrug my shoulders because if someone randomly would have walked up to me and told me this, I would have simply shook my head and looked at them like they had lips on their forehead.  I am impressed beyond words.  Which is why I'd like to see my own kids get their hands on a Cricket.

The first quote, I agree wholeheartedly on.  Our schools are lacking personality.  That's why are students are bored and that's why many are falling behind.  It's logical to me.  When I'm bored I tune out or turn off the offending source.  If it is a teacher, then it is a teacher.  The human mind is more complicated than a recorder.  It wonders first of all when it is not challenged and short term memory is just that.  If there is no incentive to flip what is learned over into long term memory then the short term memory (or register) is cleared where the next topic is entered, especially if it is more intriguing.  It's no wonder, students turn to more enticing devices during classes such as a Smartphone.  Which brings me to my next point.  I had no idea was the premise was for Kindergarten, I thought it was a social event.  Or at least an attempt to put kids into a routine of rules.  I did not know the origins of Kindergarten or the original attempt to invoke imagination.  I am truly intrigued by this idea and wondering at the same time where the original ideas vanished.  I can only assume that it is our cultures failed attempts to speed ahead of other cultures and in the meantime forgetting what should be valued.  Creativity is most certainly a valued characteristic that is resurrecting itself as we are seeing our failures.  I shake my head at this.  Why do we find out that eventually returning to basics is what helps us leap forward?

Related Source:
(University of Phoenix, 2011)


This is a rather abstract video.  I believe what Nicholas Negroponte is trying to get at is that our traditional ways of learning is outdated.  We did not have a chance to experiment when it came to learning.  We were told facts in a concrete manner that didn't allow us to be creative.  However todays child needs to learn to learn by doing.  By tweaking their methods of what they know by how they are learning it.

Sources:
University of Phoenix. (Producer) (2011). There is a way to learn to learn [Web]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usaEGaczfQg


Resnick, M. (n.d.). All i really need to know (about creative thinking) i learned (by studying how children learn) in kindergarten. Retrieved from http://web.media.mit.edu/~mres/papers/kindergarten-learning-approach.pdf



No comments: