Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Teacher Attitudes ~ Double Entry Journal #5

Quote:
To accept or adopt a language is to accept or adopt that culture
Reaction:
I chose this quote because it is exactly what I have been struggling with during the first 4 weeks of class and mostl likely my whole life. Areas of WV have different dialects.  My drawl, dialect, and slangs are different than someone from the northern pandhandle which is different than the eastern panhandle which in turn is different than southern WV.  I feel like WV is lumped into one dialect - the hillbilly, backwoods, one-toothed, barefoot, and pregnant....  and the list goes on.  I travel.  I read.  I am aware of how WV is viewed.  Which is unfair since there are a variety of dialects.  It is not a stereotype I like and it is indeed something I have fought personally.  I  don't want to be defined as a stereotype.  I will also never be denied my culture.  This is where my roots are.  So be it if my dialect is different than the dialect of CA, WA, SD, NY, FL, or any of the other of the other 49 states.  My misconceptions, embedded in my brain for 35 years and possibly antiquated, are born from someone who decided a mulititude of years ago what the term "Standard English" was defined as and that bias or brainwashing set me apart from other West Virginians whose dialect was different than mine.  How cruel it is to deny someone who is different?  I am so beginning to distaste the word "Standard English", I'm not completely sure it is relevant at this point since so many of us across the United States are different.

What does the research say about the impact of negative teacher attitudes about students ethnicity and language variations on student learning?
The research states that negative teacher attitude causes an already unsure student to withdraw from the classroom.  Once a student withdraws from the classroom their performance begins to slip, as well as their emotional state (Linguistic Diversity in ECEEDU , 2009).  Teachers attitudes good and bad are carried with the student well into adulthood.  There are teachers we all admire because of their leadership skills, their technique or "magic" ability to help us learn, or even their fair, discipline skills.  There are also teachers we remember for the rest of our life who caused some sort of scarring due to their negative attitude.  Teachers have the power to shape a student whether it is bad or good and as a teacher we need to remind ourselves where we are at on the attitude spectrum.  One way is to understand children who are different than we are whether they come from a different background (i.e. low SES, ethnic, racial, or religious), family orientation, or a different linguistic culture.  That one way isa teacher can do this is by keeping themselves fresh.  New research is developing all the time to help teachers stay fresh on their knowledge of diversity.  This new research can be read, as well as observed in a seminar.  Teachers need to continue to move in the direction of understanding if they are going to remain useful in the classroom as we move closer and closer to complete diversity in the classroom.

The research also states that having diverse students in the classroom can ultimately contibrute to the learning richness in the classroom (Linguistic Diversity in ECEEDU , 2009).  Every student can contribute their "funds of knowledge" to help the classroom grow.  When one student's "funds of knowledge" varies greatly from the rest of the class; their experiences can bring a whole new world to the other students as well as the teacher. 

What are some assessment pitfalls?
If a teacher is not aware of their biases towards language difference, the teacher tends to rate the student uncharacterisitically low.  Although the child's ability may be average or above average their dialect may be seen as broken, sloppy, lazy, unintelligent, etc...  In correlation with being assessed unfairly, the student's placement in school may be in groups that do not access their full ability.  The students are always aware of their placement.  They are either going to become bored with school easily because they are not being challenged or they are going to start doubting their own abilities; just like the three young men in the video felt - unteachable (Linguistic Diversity in ECEEDU 2009). Either way their behavior, emotional status, and performances are going to slip.  While there are strong, confident students that break barriers when given the challenge, others slip between the cracks.  The ones that slip between the cracks, because the educational system failed them, are casualities in our modern culture that could have been avoided.

What three approaches can be used to transform students’ dialectal diversity into an asset (funds of knowledge) rather than a liability (cultural deficit).
The three approaches are the awareness approach, critical pedagogy, and the critical awareness approach (Linguistic Diversity in ECEEDU 2009).  

The awareness approach takes in account that the student has a different dialect and encourages students to use their own dialect in their writings.  I think this is beneficial to the student because they own their writings.  It's not composed of words they would not typically use.  Later their writings are translated into "Standard English" so that they can compare between the two.

Critical pedagogy backs what I stated in my reaction to the quote above.  "Standard English" is outdated.  Students need to enpower themselves with the knowledge that they too can succeed with their dialect.  After all what we consider "Standard English" is rather faddish over time.  It changes depending on the political climate and agenda.

The critical awareness approach is a combination of the two above approaches.  Students are taught to be aware of the current "Standard English" but they are also taught how to make their own dialect powerful in today's society.  How to overcome the nay-sayers to become successful in their own right.

How prepared do you feel to teach in a culturally diverse classroom?
My hope for my future classrooms is that by addressing concerns such as biases towards linguistic differences, I will be more knowledgeable before hand; to view my students as assets instead of handicaps.  I believe that many teachers hold prejudices that they are not always aware is occuring and I also believe that if pointed out they would be shocked as to how they are treating a student.  *Note - I said many not all.* 

To be honest before this class I did not always view other dialects in high regard.  There are some dialects in WV that I stereotyped as backwards.  I am not ashamed to admit that I was wrong.  And until the idea of "funds of knowlege" was introduced I did not view my opinion or "misperception" as wrong.  I believe by continuing to attend classes and seminars such as Inclusive Practices I will continue to open my mind and learn how to make my classroom accessible and fruitful for a variety of individuals.  It is the fear of becoming a stale teacher that will cause me to continue my education research.

Related Sources:

(Zelizer, 2012)

I chose this picture as a related source because it reminds me that there are no longer "homogeneous classrooms".  This is the classroom of today and the classroom of the future.  To not realize this is to become stale in the classroom.

Resources:
Linguistic Diversity in ECEEDU (2009, September 4). Teacher attitudes . Retrieved from http://ecelinguisticdiversity.wikidot.com/teacher-attitudes

Zelizer, C. (2012). Apply now to the summer peacebuilding program at the sit gradute institute. Retrieved from http://www.internationalpeaceandconflict.org/forum/topics/apply-now-to-the-summer?page=1&commentId=780588%3AComment%3A120867&x=1#780588Comment120867 

1 comment:

Lindstrom22015657 said...

Wow! This is posting almost fits all the requirements for the Where I Am From Digital story project!

I'm glad that you are adopting a cultural difference perspective as a teacher!