Friday, February 3, 2012

Where I'm From ~ Poem

I am from bike rides in the hot summer heat,
from Mister Bee Potato Chips and RC Cola.
I am from the old house close to the Ohio River,
where my dad grew up,
my brother and I played,
where the smell of an ancient spice bush filled the yard, planted by my grandmother's hands.

I am from the honeysuckle along wooded trails,
the sweet lilacs and my dad's prized rhododendron.
I am from family summer camp nights and my grandmother's green thumb,
from grand-dad's WWII stories and my mother's unconditional love,
the Scotch-Irish McClungs and the Welsh Phillips before me.
I am from evenings of fresh popcorn, pullout couches, and endless marathons of Star Wars.
From the boogeyman that lived under my bed and the ghost that stood in my doorway.

I'm from the 500 million year old hills of West Virginia,
the same mountains my ancestors farmed,
the lumpy mashed potatoes and the homemade pies.
From the best friend I found in a college science lab
and the same best friend that I married 11 years ago,
the beautiful babies we made times two,
and the tragic death of a brother who was taken too soon.

I am from 35 years of happiness,
Parents who took me to fly a kite and to enjoy all 31 Flavors,
Sunday morning breakfast,
Girl Scout Camp,
The Material Girl and Thriller
Insatiable Love and motherhood,
Little League Baseball and Princess Parties,
Animal Rescues and folktale music,
Honeybees and the love of science,
Triathlons and physical endurance,
victory gardens and rosemary,
the American dream,
and West Virginia pride.

2 comments:

Lindstrom22015657 said...

Beautiful and emotionally appealing! I love the rhythm you find in the ending! I am from Madonna and Michael Jackson too!

Jaime said...

LOL! I had to throw in the Madonna and Michael Jackson. When I think of my childhood - I remember their music vividly.