Sunday, February 19, 2012

PowerPoint Quiz v. Homework & Practice

In a blog posting Give an example of how the PowerPoint quiz activity supported or did not support your assigned Project-based strategy. Make a suggestion for how the activity could be modified to reflect the research-based strategy. Justify the modification using evidence presented in the reading.

*As a warning the PowerPoint Quiz was a simulated classroom in which we experienced what it was like to have little practice on mastering a skill combined with a negative classroom and negative feedback.  This experience effectively ensures that I do not ever want to have a classroom with a familiar feel.  It does not ensure student success.*

According to the article, the assignment should have been practiced to near mastery before being assigned as a grade.  I am familar with PowerPoint but not to the level in which it was assigned as a grade under a restricted time limit.  As demonstrated I did make several mistakes.  I do not know how to change the gradient or linear (something or other) on PowerPoint.  I also want to point out the fact that I don't even remember the name for the linear (something or other), which points out the fact that I was going through the motions instead of mastering the motions.  If I were to sit and make a PowerPoint quiz I am not sure I would make it very far since I've only had exposure one time.  This brings me to another point sited by the article, students need exposure/practice to a new task at least four times to reach the half way point to mastery and an additional 20 to reach 80% mastery.  These sessions have to occur over a period of several weeks; 24 exposure times should not occur in one day nor one week.  In our one time, time-limited, practice there was not enough time to "soak in" all the information that was thrown at us.  I'm a good learner, but not that good.

Likewise according to the research article, students should not be given more than one skill to practice at a time.  The PowerPoint Quiz gave me several new items to master in 20 minutes which included the gradient color as well as making quiz buttons (which I had yet to master as well).  Not only was the time restricted to learn these new methods but I also did not receive the homework time I require to master a new skill.  Some time at home, on my own computer and away from the class would have given me a better advantage.  This is also stated by the research article. 

Beyond homework and practice there was no positive feedback by the teacher in this simulated PowerPoint quiz.  Instead there was little feedback during the exercise and negative feedback after we finished our quizzes with the teacher pointing out what we did wrong compared to other students.  If I were an elementary student my feelings would have been hurt and I would have withdrawn from the class.  If I were a high school student I would have rebelled against the teacher effectively turning her off in future activities. 

This would have been a good activity if the teacher would have given us a tutorial on PowerPoint each day only giving a small objective to cover each session; possibly allowing us to confer with fellow students incase the teachers directions were not broad enough.  I would say homework time is crucial but not in this activity since it does require a computer; after all not all students have a computer which would not give them a fair advantage.  During practice the teacher should be free to roam the classroom and check progress as well as mentor those that are having trouble with the program.  What I would adjust in this particular instance is making sure everyone has the same program.  In my 30 hour clinical, Tech Steps was somewhat difficult because some students had laptops that had a 2003 version of Microsoft while most had the 2007 version.  This makes all the difference because 2003 does not speak the "same language".  Once the student is done with their PowerPoint based project, then the teacher should give timely feedback on what could be changed or what is correct.  This should be done without shaming the student in front of the rest of the classroom.

Resource:
Homework and Practice. (2005). Retrieved from http://www.netc.org/focus/strategies/gene.php





1 comment:

Lindstrom22015657 said...

Fantastic suggestions for improving the activity in terms of Time for Practice and Homework!